Sunday, January 12, 2014

Trip to Makassar, Indonesia 2014

From the 8th - 11th of January, 2014 I visited some distant family members in Makassar Indonesia. Where is Makassar you ask?

Makassar is a city in the South Sulawesi region of Indonesia, known for its banana desserts and rich history. During my stay I got a taste of both these yummy desserts and history.

I've forgotten the names of these desserts, but from what I remember, here's a list:

-Pisang Epe - bananas that are grilled and then pressed flat. They are then covered in a sauce and come in a range of flavours such as cheese, durian and chocolate. There are carts that sell these along the road in front of Losari Beach Hotel. I'd give these a 2.5 out of 5. I could taste the banana, but the flavouring.. I couldn't really get it. You can read more about it here


-Pisang Hijau "Green Bananas" - like an es cendol with a green banana in it? Lol. Nah, the green banana is just a steamed banana wrapped in green dough and then sliced. It's soo good. Mostly because the soup complements it well. A picture of this yummy treat is below and you can find a recipe for it (in Indonesian) here.


- I'd probably update this when I remember the names of the others. THEY WERE SOO DELICIOUS!


We stayed at Losari Beach Hotel, and had the most AMAZING view from our hotel room. It was only on our first night at the hotel did we see the sun set. On other nights, it was real cloudy and raining :(
And I keep kicking myself that I didn't wake up early to watch the sun rise.

Day 1 Makassar - View from Losari Beach Hotel room (Level 5)





No comments:

Post a Comment